Monday, February 27, 2006

Weekend Workouts.

I seem to get behind on the posting of workouts over the weekends because my computer at home is notorious for freezing up in the middle of a post. So here goes again.

Friday it just seemed necessary to get back at the running thing. After all, my theme for the month was supposed to be running. I did pretty well, all things considered, but after returning from the beautiful weather in Phoenix and running 5 days straight!, it was very hard to get out there in the freezing temps and in the dark again. They say it makes you stronger. Hmm. Not sure about that! So I did 30 min. on the treadmill--two 15 min. sets.

It seems to be getting easier, extending my sets, and even going a little faster, but the long runs aren't progressing as I would like.

Saturday was a pretty hard spin class, so maybe that is what caused the long run Sunday to almost not happen. I was tired, I whined, and wanted to forego it, but I always think of all the IM wannabe's out there working their guts out every day/week and decided I don't have much to complain about. Plus I have been doing this stuff long enough to know that what you reap is what you sow. If I want to be reaping far more of a harvest this year than the last 2 or 3, I had better stick to my "seed planting" now.

So the run Sunday was ugly, but it brought me to a new level--I can no longer tolerate doing long runs on the treadmill. I have to get outside, no matter the weather, and face reality. By 2.5 miles, I was ready to quit. I persisted to 4.5 and again wanted to quit. I walked a while instead but that is not what I want to do. I need to break through that 4 mile barrier and keep running. Seven miles was not that far. I have done it many times, but it seemed forever that day. I was so glad to be done!

No comments: