Friday, February 03, 2006

Quote of the day: "I like running because its a challenge. If you run hard, there's the pain-and you've got to work your way through the pain. You know, lately it seems all you hear is 'Don't overdo it' and 'Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond." Bob Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers general manager, NHL Hall of Fame.

Interesting thought. We are always told the opposite. I told someone that today. And I am guilty of thinking it. I suppose if you have an injury or illness, it should apply at least some. Otherwise, what would it hurt? You can only know if you try it.

So I guess I can relate that to my morning workout. While February is all about running, I have already pretty much decided I couldn't run every day. My training schedule does have walking mixed in with the running. But of course that is a running training schedule, not a triathlon training schedule. So I should probably do triathlon-related things on days when I have the choice to walk. Like today. And I didn't. I chose the easy route today. I could have run 1.5 or walked 30. Since I was tired today--not from working out, just from it being Friday and the cumulative tiredness of getting up every day at 5 am, working, and everything else, I just walked. I could have done nothing. I did dutifully get dressed to go out and run, but the first step told me it would be a walk. I should have swam 30 min. instead, but I figured that would be too easy. Swimming is easy for me, and it is something I fall back on when I don't feel like running. I didn't push myself to run because I didn't want to overdo!

No comments: