Thursday, April 06, 2006

So today in the pool, I felt a new calmness. I don't really know what it was. I had almost thought about not going, because I woke up way early and really wanted to sleep longer, but didn't feel like I needed to sleep longer so got up. (That in itself was an oddity.) I really should have stayed home and cleaned up the house that didn't get done last night from being out with the grandchildren, but I knew it would be there when I got home too.

The main pool was full, as usual, so I went to the "leisure" pool. A huge wave of heat hit me as soon as I opened the door to that pool, but no one was in it except a few nappers. (I don't know what they were doing but they weren't moving and they weren't swimming, so I would have to assume they were napping.) The water and air in the leisure pool are always warmer than the lap pool, to cater to the arthritis classes, and the pool is shorter, but I really don't mind that since I know it is 44 laps for a mile. I did a mile last week and timed it and timed it again today. Last week it was 41:xx and today it was 38:25, closer to my average. I don't know why I always swim faster in the shorter pool, because I still keep track of laps and know the difference between the pool lengths. And there are more turns, so it is confusing, but it is always the same.

Today I started out double breathing down and single back. What I mean here is I took one breath for every 4 strokes instead of one for every 2 (I have yet to master bilateral breathing--maybe because one breath for every three strokes feels awkward). This has been a test in the past to see how my breathing and heart rate are doing. While I feel like I am swimming a little slower with this method, usually it leaves me breathless after about 10 laps anyway. Today I did the whole mile this way: double breathing down, single back. Maybe this is where the after-swimming calmness came from. I just didn't feel workout stressed. I wasn't out of breath. I wasn't tired. I just felt relaxed, like you often feel like after a long run. So maybe it was endorphins? Not sure as I really wasn't in the water that long.

Tomorrow will be another long run in the morning before work, meaning getting on the treadmill by 5:30 am. If I keep waking up without the alarm before 5 am, this should work okay. Saturday I will either do nothing (before the drive to Detroit and back) or do another mile swim. I try not to use my feet two days in a row for hard workouts to prevent any more heel problems. And if I don't drive, hopefully I can snooze from time to time. :)

1 comment:

Fe-lady said...

Great workout! I hate, however, swimming in SHORT pools. The lap counting drives me crazy enough in 25 meters and would prefer a 50 meter pool. (I need my own lake I guess!)
I love your "names" for fellow people in and around the pool...nappers, and jellyfish...funny stuff! :-)