Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Monday was the most glorious day weather-wise, with the temperature actually getting warm enough to put windows down and sunroof open. Today is warmer yet. We have the type of weather here where to have any day this time of the year in the 60s and even 70s, it is something to get the best out of. Tonight will be a bike at the park. I've already been called about who is there, who is doing what distances, where they will be when I get there, etc. I pretty much don't mind going by myself if necessary. It lets me focus on my riding instead of trying always to keep up. Keeping up is good at times, but after work I need the ride that relaxes and frees the mind. I'm not close enough to doing any races that I need to be hammering yet. I am merely trying to establish good bases in all three sports, and am making good progress in the swim and run. Just need to get out on the bike more often, and of course that can't happen with the crappy weather we are blessed with.

So tonight will be a treat of sorts. I carry my bike around most of the time for one of those "just in case" nights where the temperature cooperates and there isn't any rain.

My heel that had been bothering me to no end for about 6 weeks seems to have simmered down, so funny that I get a call from a friend who just tried running a marathon, only to have to back out at the last minute with the same heel problem. And then he mentions another friend who has it too. Must be some sort of epidemic around here. One is an arch rival, and much as I would have loved to kept my secret to myself, I did tell both of them how I finally was able to cure the swelling and pain. I couldn't help but think to myself that this would be my chance to get a jump on her with my training, but decided against it. We both have our strengths and weaknesses, so even if I were to train to the point of being able to beat her at races, she might come through and surprise me anyway. Its just an ego thing of course.

IM Coeur D'Alene is suddenly getting closer. With IM AZ over, that is the next focus. Its a long way to drive and with gas prices so conveniently reaching almost the $3 mark, it is going to cost more in gas than hotels. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. And somehow we got stuck dragging extra bikes along for others, so it pretty much necessitates bringing a bigger vehicle and having a packed vehicle both ways and everywhere in between.

Hopefully everyone out there is getting in some biking miles finally if they haven't been out yet. I personally am not a cold weather biking fan and don't feel the need to go out and spend tons of money I don't have on ride specific clothes. I have enough stuff that gets me by in the cold spring or fall weather, and that is good enough--windproof, waterproof if necessary, and moisture wicking. All are good. Just being able to finally get out is better. Enjoy!

No comments: