Friday, April 07, 2006

Ah, Friday. 7.1 mile run this morning, starting at--are you ready for this--5:20 a.m.! I woke shortly after 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Things going on at work that could dictate my future years here. Not sure if I can pull it off, so of course I have to think through all the scenarios of possibility and never got back to sleep. Finally got up at 4:30 and made coffee, got on the computer, did some laundry, and finally, OMG its 5:10! Hurried and got dressed and got on the treadmill earlier than planned, but it worked.

7.1 miles is more than 3/4 of a mile longer than last week for just a few more minutes. I am still holding myself back to trying to build up distance and endurance before I start trying to go faster. I do on my shorter runs, but running faster takes time to condition the body so as not to get injured before actually accomplishing any goals. While it should be boring, it has now become more of a challenge and adventure. Surprisingly, the time goes by much quicker when I am running slower because I am not gasping for air and my foot isn't flaring up. I have scheduled walk breaks and it is easy to stick with a running pace when I hold my speed to an aerobic pace.

But 7.1 miles on a treadmill is also near my breaking point of several weeks ago when I thought I would go mad. I have actually surpassed the amount of time I had done before, but my miles are lower. But I am not feeling that stressed, and so far I have recovered well enough. Especially considering the fact that now I must be at work for the next 8 hours.

I tend to get crabby after long runs, while at the same time I am calm. Calm inside, because of the effort put forth and then the recovery after, sort of like the storm and then the calm. Crabby though too because yes I am a little tired and don't want to do anything else but relax. I wouldn't be able to sleep however, and most likely won't be able to sleep easily tonight either. Just the way it always has been.

Two Friday mornings in a row now, and two long training runs because of out-of-town weekend plans. I'm actually getting to like this for the simple fact tomorrow I don't have to do anything and can rest up before Sunday when I would like to get a long ride in, either in or out (lows in the morning predicted for 26, high of only 52). That way I don't feel like my whole weekend is spent training. Maybe that's why after a while that gets to be a drag. I am already up early on Fridays anyway. Even if I don't sleep well tonight, it won't necessarily affect Saturday, and by Sunday I should be okay for a long ride or workout again. I tend to cram too many hard workouts together and then burn out down the road a ways. I used to race almost every weekend, and with running it wasn't that big of a deal. But with triathlon, there aren't any in my immediate area except in September, so that means travelling, and basically spending the whole weekend again working out. This might be a good alternative for me. I need at least one day of down time, and with all the other things I have to tend to all weekend, and oftentimes I work too, it will be mind freeing to not have to plan a hard workout on Saturdays all the time.

Most of the tri friends I have, like me, are older, where they either don't have kids or they don't have kids around any more, and only me and one other have grandchildren, so they can spend all weekend every weekend training and/or travelling to races. I don't feel I want to do things this way any more. I do wish I only had to work 4 days a week because then I could have one day to myself and two days to do heavy training, instead of cutting it short to have the time to myself. Ironman will have to wait until I get a balance of free/work/training time.

No comments: