Tuesday, March 28, 2006

So, second week of new training plan. The plan that I hope this time goes farther than 3-4 weeks. It was easy today, so that tells me something is working. And I was awake before the alarm and excited about working out.

One part of the new training plan was facing the fact that I REALLY hate getting up at o dark thirty, packing the bags for the day, and leaving before the traffic lights are off blink and then not getting home again until 6 or 6:30. It gets old really fast. And it turned out to be counterproductive in the long run. I don't mind running either at home on the treadmill or from home. What I do mind is the above routine that tended to get dragged out later and later over the past 6 months until I barely had enough time to get a 20 min. run in. It was really starting to get to me. I don't mind going for the spinning, swimming, or weights; I do mind going for running. A lot.

So the new plan last week was to get on the treadmill at least 3 mornings a week and progress from there. So far it has worked and I have not missed one time. In fact, I am up to 40 min. today, and as I said, it seemed easy. I did go back to my own earlier advice to SLOW DOWN until my endurance is there for upping the speed, and I do tend to run faster outside, but for now it is a heart rate workout at least 3 times a week.

Today as I reached each mile, I did up it one notch on the treadmill, and it still was easy enough. I have to hold myself back. I have too many memories of hitting the roads and doing 10, 12, 15 miles and still doing speedwork and/or hill workouts. It can't happen that fast. I have had too much time off. I have to not get ahead of myself here. Same with the weight loss. One week at a time.

As for weight loss, I have begun to really read labels. There are some definite rules when trying to losing weight. First, you either have to count calories (including fat calories) or carbs. You can't do both. Most athletes do not do the carb thing, and I'm not going there either. But reading labels for calorie content, you have to be honest and look at the fat calories as well.

Take peanut butter for instance. One of my favorite foods. But alas, today I took an honest look at the calorie/fat calorie content and was quite dismayed. 180 calories per 2 tablespoons and 140 fat calories! That's most of the enjoyment gone right there. Wow, I was really surprised. Which caused me to sparingly spread the small amount I dared eat now. It makes me wonder what other surprises await me out there!

1 comment:

Fe-lady said...

Good for you and the treadmill workouts! I have NEVER run on one, and would probably go flying off if I tried! I am sure they are good for keeping up cadence/pace and if I ever decide to get serious about my running again, I need to try one I guess.
Yeeesh, I just had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. My husband uses the low fat peanut butter, but I find it's way too sweet for me. But I figure once a week (or twice) isn't going to hurt. My diet the rest of the time is super good. Lots of fish, vegetables, stir-fry, pad-thai, and pasta with vegetables. Lots of fruit and veggies, so I think i deserve some fat somewhere to stay feeling full.
(But then I am trying to not lose weight...just beef up a little and add some muscle mass!)
I don't even own a scale so have no idea how much I weigh at the moment! :-)