Monday, March 06, 2006



Anyone in the Midwest (or anyone else for that matter) who wants to do a premier Olympic triathlon event should consider this one. http://www.johanstrifest.com. It is now in its 5th year and is in memory of Johan Visser, several time Ironman and Kona triathlete, who met an untimely death in 2002 from brain cancer. To the end, he fought the disease until he could no longer keep going. His one wish at his death was to leave enough money to put on the best triathlon ever. I am prejudiced and feel it is one of the best tris out there. I have done this event twice and volunteered twice (as usual, the weather was skewed for this--I do the race and it is way above average temps [97 for the run!] and volunteer and it is lower than usual temps [40s for the start]), so I am trying not to jinx the event this year. I have already committed to being part of a relay, but could also do the race on my own as well, tough as it might be this year. I guess then my training right now is leading up to this event, the week before IM Coeur D'Alene, so I need to make the best effort I can to participate before we take off for Idaho and parts west.

I'm not sure what others think about why they like this race, but my own opinion is that it is one of the best run and organized races around. ALL of the volunteers and race director have either participated in triathlons, including IM distance, or are big time marathoners and/or ultra runners, so all have had tons of experience at what makes a good race. The most important thing they do is go out of the way for the athlete in every way. They do everything they can to make this a successful event and more importantly a successful event for YOU. Also, I think they give you one of the best values for your money. Tris keep getting more and more expensive, and they have tried to keep the race fees as low as possible. No one person or volunteer makes any money off this race. Any leftover proceeds goes to Hope on the Hill Foundation .

So come on to Michigan and be prepared for one of the best tris around!

No comments: