Friday, July 14, 2006

Uh Oh.

This is what I get for being impulsive. I am not impulsive by nature and whenever I am, it always comes back to haunt me. I can't think of one time when I did something impulsive that things worked out. So here goes again. The bike problem I mentioned from this morning is a problem: broken derailleur. Choices: don't do the race or ride with it broken.

Riding with it broken lends itself to a few other problems, namely, if the pedals freeze even when not shifting, or the chain drops into the small chain ring, it will leave me with no power.

The problem in getting it fixed is all the bike shops are backed up with days of work. Everyone I know who might be able to help either in loaning me a bike that would fit or might be able to do a quick fix is at Muncie. So my only alternative is to ride it this way and be powered down. I can get it fixed in time for next week's tri, but this impulsive decision to do a tri this weekend is going to be a payback for not planning things out better.

I had really wanted to do this race, and had really intended to sign up in advance. But as is usual for me, I don't sign up until the last minute because I don't want to do anything, well, impulsive.

For me, even making an impulsive decision is a back and forth thing, so really it wasn't without some contemplation as to the pros and cons. Just not enough knowledge of bike repairs to realize this morning I had a problem led me to this dilemma.

So with no further excuses, I will do the race and with any luck or miracle will do okay. Its just a training race anyway so, while I hate spending the time and money on a race that basically doesn't or won't in this case count for anything, I still need the experience. I have at least 3 more races after this and do want those to go okay.

And then that leads me back to some thoughts this morning of whether I really do need a new bike, a bike fit, or just need to train more. I never seem to know which way to go on this. I don't have the funds to just run out and get a bike, whether on sale or otherwise. And I take so long to make a decision on what I want that if any deals came along, they would pass me by before I acted. Its not that I am an indecisive person. I am a fact finder, an information gatherer, but not a fast decision maker. When I make a decision, all the pros and cons have been worked out. If I don't have time to go through that process, I won't make a decision until I do. And if I do make an impulsive decision, I usually come to regret it later. Its my nature. I can't totally change who I am. The best thing for me to do is not let myself get into these situations.

No comments: