Tuesday, August 22, 2006

REST & RECOVERY. That's what this week will be. A recent post Ellie posted made me think a little more about what I would do this week. While I don't feel totally done in from my race on Saturday, I am learning the value of some down time and want to get this right. I don't like doing "nothing" for too many days. Its just part of my day to do something in the form of exercise every day. Part of this is because this is really the way I have always been. Part of this is because I don't want to slip back into that slump I had for over 2 years. I know that was due to a lot of things that happened in my life that aren't happening now, but the memory lingers, so I want to keep moving all the time. I also want to have a good next race. So I walk a fine line here.

I have another tri on Sept. 9 (my birthday!) and I REALLY want to do better than last year and want to improve on the bike. Its another hilly route, but this time I want to be better prepared.

So, is less more? Is less better? Does my age play a factor here? What am I capable of yet this season? How much more can I get out of this body this year? But it goes beyond just my next race.

While I am still in the believing mode--believing I can do lots more next year--I still have to wonder how much more I can accomplish with triathlon. I know what I want to do, and I have to be careful not to break myself down to where I get back into that doubting mode.

So I am thinking and rethinking my game plan for the next 10 days, and then it will be time to taper again.

How much recovery time do you take?

1 comment:

Fe-lady said...

Wow...how many tris did you do this year? It seems as if you are racing every other weekend. I usually take a couple days off from anything hard after racing. I might walk with hubby instead of run- or go for a recovery swim and not hammer or do intervals.
Hey, your birthday is in the same month...but mine isn't until later (28th). Can't wait for that next age group next year!