Monday, September 10, 2007

WORKING ON THE RUN.

Like a lot of you, yesterday I spent checking results of IMMoo, staying up far too late, but actually seeing the people I wanted to see cross the finish line. Then it was hard to sleep, so I intentionally slept in a little this morning. I didn't really know what to do about a workout: walk or run? I felt I was rested enough from Saturday's race, but getting started so late I figured I would just walk around the river and back and try to run after work. For me, it is a no brainer: I do not like working out after work. I am much more likely to do something in the morning, but still, it was already 7:30 when I got started. Just a quick walk and see what happens after work. So I can still get to work on time (almost).

But my feet had a mind of their own. I waited for a traffic light and caught it just as it turned to "Don't Walk" so trotted across the street--and just kept going.

I was surprised at how light and "quick" my legs felt, all things considered. Okay, just 20 minutes I thought. Then my mind took over and I started thinking, okay, I have a half marathon at the end of October, but also another triathlon on the 23rd--which may end up being a duathlon, depending on the weather, and maybe a surprise race later. I need to be running, I need to be building my run up again. So, just run!

But then my practical, logical side took over and I started thinking that if I wanted to really build up safely I needed to use the reliable run/walk method to do so. So I decided: run 8 minutes, walk 2. It worked well, and after 40 minutes I could have continued, easily, but alas, I was already late for for, so I had to stop. Can't wait to get back out there again!

No comments: