Thursday, September 06, 2007

SATURDAY RACE.

Its official. I've finally registered for a race being held this Saturday. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

It was while training for this race last year that I was hit by the car, so it has been a hard decision to come by to enter. But after reading GeekGirl's post about her finish at IM Louisville, and her feelings about not worrying about where you place or what your time is, I finally went ahead and hit the submit button.

Its not that this is a long event; its actually just a little bit longer than a sprint. Its not that I haven't been training for this, at least in the back of my mind. Its just that this is the only race I have ever dropped out of; its the only race I have ever panicked on the swim; and its one of the races I have done more times than any other and all but once placed last in the age group, and the only year I actually placed was when the other competition apparently didn't show up.

I think what has held me back is needing to face my demons of the accident and my slow placement. My friend from work, Jan, also has entered my age group, and I expect her to take top 5, way faster than me. After thinking through it sensibly, I realize there will likely be up to 1199 other athletes doing this race; that there is likely to be at least 7 women in my age group; that it is unlikely I have a chance to place in the top 5 of my AG, which would mean an award; that my time likely will be slower than 2 years ago; that its likely it will be difficult mentally for me to ride the course and through the area where I was hit, not having gone through that way since, BUT, I am going to do this and take what comes.

8 comments:

Larissa said...

I think you made a great decision. Its an opportunity to face those demons and show them whose boss. Who cares where you place - or even if you finish or not (which I'm sure you will) - what matters is that you start. So many do not have the courage to even begin.

Have a great race, Vickie, I'll be cheerin' for you.

Flo said...

Good decision. Face down those demons. That post by GeekGirl was pretty powerful. It definitely got me to thinking too.
Good Luck Saturday. Can't wait to read all about it.

Nancy Toby said...

Best wishes on a FUN RACE DAY!

Unknown said...

Yay for you! Yay for facing demons! Yay for DOING it!!

zanne said...

yay! and ditto what everyone else has already said!

IronWaddler said...

Good for you- I can;t wait to hear about it.

jahowie said...

Good luck in the race this weekend!!

Tom Rice said...

I'm going to do this and take what comes." That's the spirit. Demons be damned. Go for it.