Sunday, September 09, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!



Yes, I've finally acknowledged it. Another year gone by. And what have I accomplished? What have I contributed? I'm not really going to go into all that. I'm not going to go into introspective reflection on what I did or didn't do this past year. I survived. That's about all I will say. That, in and of itself, is quite enough!



It has been spectacularly wonderful weather this weekend. I can't remember too many years when the weather wasn't absolutely perfect at this time of year--cool nights and mornings; low humidity; hot sunny days; blue and cloudless skies. We have so few days like this every year, and I am thankful my birthday falls into some of the best weather we have all year. Its the time of the year when I am glad I started running so many birthdays ago, to enjoy the blue skies, the warm air, the sun. And glad too that I started doing triathlons, so I could bike through the crisp days and changing colors, beneath the cloudless skies and blazing sun.

I sometimes think your real year starts on your birthday, going forward from there, rather than at the beginning of the year. After all, this is the day its all about you and your time on this earth, and what you are doing, will be doing, hope to be doing, etc. in the next year, more so than on January 1. In reality, you are only 1 day older when your birthday falls, but you are growing--older and hopefully wiser--every day during that year. You have another whole year, hopefully, to fulfill your goals and dreams or move closer to them.

Anyway, I'm going to stop thinking and just continue living. Here's to me, hoping this next year will be better than the last.

10 comments:

zanne said...

the best birthdays of all are those that haven't arrived yet.

happy birthday vickie!

cheers to you for all of your accomplishments & those you have yet to conquer!

IronWaddler said...

Happy Birthday Vickie-you have some great days ahead of you.

Fe-lady said...

Happy Birthday Vickie! Accomplishments...no, don't go into them...you will be writing until your NEXT birthday, you have accomplished SO MUCH!
(Hope you do something nice just for YOU!)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

No introspection needed on this occasion. Sometimes our biggest impact comes from the little things we do that send out ripples like a pebble tossed in a pond. You don't always know what you're accomplishing while you do it, but years from now you'll see it clearly.

Happy, happy birthday!

Flo said...

Happy Birthday Vicki!!! You've had some great accomplishments this past year but there's a whole lot more ahead of you...

jahowie said...

Happy Birthday!! I agree with you on the year not starting until your birthday. I hope that you had a great day!!

Born To Endure said...

I heart you...hears to another year, may it bring you total health and happiness!!

Larissa said...

I hope this year is your best evah!

E-Speed said...

happy belated birthday! hope it was a good one!

UltraMamaC said...

I missed it! Dang, I hate that my traveling is keeping me from keeping up with my blog-buddies. Hope it was a wonderful day and you have a wonderful year ahead!