Tuesday, September 18, 2007



OH WHERE OH WHERE HAS MY POLAR TUNA GONE?





I like tuna fish and have been eating it probably most of my life. Its a cheap source of protein--and yes, I know, I've heard everything there is about the mercury levels, etc. I'll worry about that when and if anything happens. Compared to fast food options, I think I might be ahead on this one.

A few years ago, I discovered Polar tuna and haven't been able to (happily) eat any brand since. Our local Meijer stores recently stopped carrying this brand. I was quite unhappy when over the past month, shopping in 4 different stores, I discovered the absence of one of my daily staples.

Since I like to write letters, writing frequently to the Public Pulse, Congressmen, Senators, etc. I quickly sent off an e-mail letter to Meijer asking why their shelves were empty. After a couple of days, I finally got a reply. Their response? "It didn't sell well." Hmm, when you raise the price 20 cents in two years' time, stack it up against your store brand, and never offer it on sale, is that a surprise? My reply included this information, as well as the comment that Meijer has the WORST tasting tuna I have ever eaten, coming in worse even behind a couple of big major brands.

So then I had to go one step further and write to Polar asking for another source in my area to buy their product. So far, no response. But maybe if I get lucky, they'll just deliver a whole case to me, and I'll have a lifetime supply!

6 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Oh, don't you just hate it when a store stops stocking a favorite?

The Whole Foods near us recently stopped stocking the cornmeal-crust pizza Dan loves, and I'm still not over the city-wide disappearance of Puffin Cereal Bars. :-(

Fe-lady said...

Buy "chicken of the sea" or some other Albacore brand.
Costco has packs of eight that are good too! (It's THEIR brand)

Unknown said...

I'm not a tuna fan, but I've had my share of favorites disappear from store shelves...leaving me very unhappy. I hope they can send you some!

IronWaddler said...

I hate when that happens. Meijer has been the one to always do it to me.

jahowie said...

Meijer has the worst tasting meat!! I've tried their "fresh" hamburger too and it was awful. Good luck with getting your tuna back. You are quite the determined little consumer. :-)

zanne said...

i think i found a source for you! i was at Big Lots today & there were a whole bunch of canned Polar products ...and i was like "why is that name so familiar?" ah! my blogfriend vickie is jonesing for her polar tuna! i scanned the shelves & almost called you from the store ... i didn't see any tuna, but you should check your local big lots ... who knows, you may hit the jackpot.