Friday, February 02, 2007

BRICK WORKOUT.

Spin 45 min.; run 15 min.; walk up 131 stairs.

In an effort to add new challenges to February, I decided to spin and then run today, mainly to see how it felt. Since I already did the indoor tri, and have done a few bike-run bricks on my own, I am just keeping it all in a low heart rate zone, to help build base. The stair climbing was not planned. I decided I needed to "sneak" into the office after I forgot and left my makeup bag and hair products in my desk. I don't usually even bring the stuff with me, since I leave my things in the gym (I am now hiding my bag to avoid dealing with whoever it is who thinks it is their mission to irritate me by moving my bag), but for some odd reason yesterday I stuck the things in my purse and took to my desk. Then, of course, I didn't want them in there all day so put them in a drawer--and promptly forgot about them. If it had just been the makeup, maybe I could have gotten on the elevator. But the hair and makeup? No way am I going to face my colleagues that way! LOL! Vanity.

The spin instructor is the guy I mentioned once before who is a pretty decent triathlete, but very intense in his spinning classes. He doesn't really follow the music either. He just has his own workout he puts us through, so there really is no rhyme or reason to what we will be doing. For example, if it is a slower song, I would do a slow climb or a slow standing climb. He does speed intervals. Or if it is a fast song, I might do speed intervals, a fast standing run, or maybe jumps. He has us crank the resistance and do climbing intervals. So I try to ignore the music as a way to determine my pedaling and just enjoy it for what it is.

The run on the treadmill went well. At first I thought I would just do one mile, but then decided on 15 minutes. Once again, I have to pat myself on the back for taking the Chi Running workshop, since with the Chi Running, you hardly feel any leg heaviness. On a real bike, it is momentary; on the spinning bikes, hardly at all. I felt really strong, and could easily have kept going had I had more time or wasn't doing a long run tomorrow. I have to admit too that after spinning, the running is easier yet!

The only annoying part of the run was being next to a woman who chants the whole time she walks on the treadmill or does the elliptical. I can't figure out what else to call it. The first time I heard her, I thought she was talking on a cell phone, with the earpiece thingy, but after glancing at her on my way out of the cardio room, I could see she was just mumbling or something. She's not signing to any music, although she might be saying the words. Who knows!! And I couldn't drown her out even with headphones and the music cranked higher than I could stand it. Weird!

This weekend, we are predicted to get blizzard-like conditions and an Arctic air mass blowing in, so I really suspect my long run (10k or better) will be on the treadmill. I am getting over my wimpiness, but I see no real reason to expose myself to those conditions when I don't have to. If the roads are dry, I'll go outside. If they are wet and sloppy, inside.

On another note, the groundhog did not see his shadow, which doesn't surprise me considering it doesn't even get fully light out here until close to 8 am or later, and the sun is now on permanent vacation anyway for at least the next six weeks.

Also, today is National Wear Red Day, a national awareness campaign for women about heart disease. Take care of your hearts ladies.

No comments: