Sunday, May 24, 2009

TRAINING WEEKEND


One thing I love about holiday weekends is that even after getting in all the required training, which basically takes up the whole weekend, I still get a day off work following that!
And I have to say, the training went very well! It started with a 25 mile bike ride on Friday. Not necessarily the best weather, but not windy or raining, so that's saying quite a bit for around here lately. I rode easy so as to not trash the legs because Saturday was going to be a 2 hour run followed by a mile swim, but still came in around 1:42.
Saturday I promised myself I would go for a long run, something I have neglected somewhat the last 2 weeks. Even if was going to be ugly, it had to get done. It was overcast all day but again, no wind or rain. The whole 2 hours out there, I think the sun peaked out only a couple of times. And I ran on the opposite side of the river, just to check out the flooding status. I'm glad to say that most of it is dry, with very little sand or debris left behind. And completely shaded on that side of the river, making it my new route for long runs this summer. I made it the whole 2 hours, with not much discomfort, so that was a bonus. After, it was a 1 mile swim, which felt fairly easy also.
After that, grocery shopping, so by the time I got home it was 4:00 and I was completely wiped out and sore! I wanted to lay around for the whole night in the worst way. I was so tired, I barely wanted to eat dinner, something that never happens with me unless I'm sick. All in all a good sore and tired though.
On the training agenda for today (Sunday) was a 50 mile ride. I wasn't sure how that would go, considering how tired and sore I was from Saturday, but again, I needed to accomplish this ride and wanted to push hard to boost my confidence.
One thing I love about these long rides, whether I go with someone or go alone, is that it gives me lots of time to figure out training plans and strategy for the summer. And going out, the ride is a breeze. Coming back you have to work, what with the wind and a slight upgrade, and while my average speed did drop, I pushed myself the last 10 miles to bring it back up some. I am at the point where racing mode is kicking in, and I am trying to get that tough training mindset I need to start seeing my numbers go up. Today's effort brought me close to what my Steelhead ride was last August, so that gave my confidence the boost it needed. Could I run after? I doubt it. But that's another lesson for another training day!
Now its time to get some laundry done, an unpleasant by-product of a week's worth of training, and something that never seems to get done! The rest of the weekend is R&R. Hope everyone is having a great weekend too!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are doing a great job with your training. Keep it up!!

We CONSTANTLY have laundry. There is never a point of being caught up. Always some in the washer and/or drying, in the basket, or waiting to be put away...

IronWaddler said...

Vickie-
You are doing a great job on your training. You should be proud of yourself.I have been getting really tired with the increases also.

I Run for Fun said...

Man, you've had such a productive weekend. Way to go on those workouts. I love long weekends and R&R! Enjoy the rest of your weekend...you've earned it.

Marlene said...

Awesome job on your training. Glad to hear the weather at leats somewhat cooperated this weekend.

Calyx Meredith said...

Way to go on that loooonng ride. It's great that you got it all in - even with the cumulative fatigue. Now, rest as hard as you worked! :D

ShirleyPerly said...

Solid weekend of training!! I usually can't do anything but an easy swim (or a pull buoy workout) after doing a long bike or run workout earlier. Way to knock them all out!

jeanne said...

dang you are inspiring me. I feel like a lazy sod after reading this! And you threw in grocery shopping too??! That is hardcore! WELL DONE--again!