Thursday, May 14, 2009


BECAUSE I LIKE COLD, COLD WATER


To drink that is. In races especially, but when does that actually ever happen? I've been in races where I KNOW they put the gatorade and water out the night before and then it sits all morning in the hot sun. (I have to wonder if this is why some people get sick on gatorade?? That and the haphazard way they mix it.)


Anyway, for training, I am always looking for ways to keep cool, and having cold, cold water to drink helps. For the bike and run, I always freeze water bottles, and for the most part the water on the bike stays cold almost all the way through at least 50 mile rides even on the hottest days. But I'd been using Polar bottles, which I haven't been that fond of because when frozen, they are hard to open and harder yet to squeeze to get anything out of while moving. This usually results in me not drinking much if anything unless I stop. And the latest models have this loop on the cover which is really annoying. So I've really been looking for something better.
And I know others use the camelbacks that fit on their backs, but for me its just not something I'm willing to use. Except this new Camelback bottle I recently found and tried.
Not only is is less rigid than the Polar bottle, it also doesn't leak if the spout is open and it tips over. And its BPA free. The only drawback I can see right now is it doesn't hold quite as much as the Polar bottle. And so far I haven't been able to locate one in a hand-held model, but I'll keep looking.
So that's my public service announcement for today. Hope this information comes in useful for someone.

6 comments:

Marlene said...

That's a great idea! I can't stand warm water/gatorade. Ick!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Lucky us in Tampa. When we ride the Sun Coast parkway (bike trail) they have nice cool 5 gallon jugs every 10 miles of so that are filled every day with ice water.

We are spoiled.

I Run for Fun said...

Thanks for the review...will definitely come in handy. Freezing the bottles is a great idea too.

IronWaddler said...

Thanks for the info. I know I;ll need it this summer.

Sunshine said...

Always appreciate your public service announcements!
It always amazes me when the race is hot, but no effort is made to provide cold water.

A Plain Observer said...

I freeze bottles of water in the summer but they usually dont stay that way for long once I get moving