Tuesday, May 26, 2009

THINGS NOT TO EAT OR DRINK WHILE TRAINING!

I'm sure we all have foods that don't agree with us, either in everyday life or when in training mode.


I should have known better. I DO know better! But in a moment of weakness....what can I say??

Still, after an exceptional training weekend and the luxury of a whole day off without having to work, swim, bike, or run, I went a little crazy.

For me, there are 3 no-nos when it comes to what I absolutely cannot eat or drink when training:

First: watermelon. Much as I love it, it goes right through me! And after my long ride Sunday, I had brought a tub of it in a cooler and pigged out on it!


Second: Red wine. One of my weaknesses, but again, doesn't mix with training. While I don't get hungover or sick, if I drink more than 2 glasses (and I have to confess--I did), same thing the next day. Goes right through me.

Last but not least: Chocolate, and in this case a Dairy Queen Dilly Bar was the food of choice. This after 3 hours at the zoo in the hot sun with 2 infants and 1 toddler (and thankfully their parents!). Another no-no for me in training.

But, mix all 3 together and you get a deadly mix. I honestly could not go out to run this morning. I didn't dare! And even if I thought about taking a chance, I used up all my extra time in the bathroom! I distinctly remember doing the same thing last year just before a race, and have pretty much abstained since.

All that training went to my head I guess! What do you avoid when training??

10 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

UGH, I so know what you mean about certain things being edibles non grata during training. For me, anything more than a little bit of dairy products, fruit juices, watermelon and grapes are to be avoided. Or else, the only running I'll be doing is to the bathroom...

A Plain Observer said...

ohhhh I wouldn't want to leave my wine behind!!! I train with it! you are so disciplined!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Absolutely nothing. That's why we train, to indulge ourselves... BUT, with IMFL looming 5 months from now and 10 pounds to lose, I will probably avoid massive amounts of alcohol and carbs after 5pm.

Sunshine said...

Those salted nut rolls in MN... they are seldom in the race bag.. Much worse!!.. They are the first thing you see on the table when you come over the finish line.. and who has any resistence then?

You are so good at knowing what works for you and what doesn't. That is the first half of the challenge.

Sunshine said...

Ooops.. I guess that word is spelled resistAnce!

Unknown said...

Oopsie! Guess that's the penalty for a wonderful long weekend holiday. But I think your weekend was a net positive overall anyway. :-)

Anne said...

I've fallen victim to red wine too. The thing with melons is if you eat them in combination w/ other food, they ferment in your stomach or intestines and then produce painful gas. I know this and experience it frequently and yet, I still can't help myself.

Aka Alice said...

I've switched to white wine for just this reason :-)

Black Knight said...

I have fallen victim to a cake called "cornetto" (little horn) eaten before a half marathon. I had to visit .... many hidden corners during the race!

Lily on the Road said...

OMG Vick, if I gave up red wine, I'd be cranky (ier)!

LOL, I'm laughing at Alice....

Melon, cantaloupe, chocolate I can do without, but red wine NOOOOOOOOOO!!

LMAO