The building I work in has an athletic club in the basement. In the past (and even now) they cater to mainly the attorneys in our office and other business men and women in the metro area. The membership, however, is small, almost what you would consider exclusive. I have avoided getting involved with this for some of those reasons, but have finally reached the point where I am seriously considering it. For an extra $24 a month, I can have the convenience of:
- parking in the same lot where I work;
- being able to run downstairs for a workout at lunch without the hassle of driving to the Y, circling the lot over and over and over waiting for someone to leave, then rushing through a workout because I only have 25 min. left before needing to get back to the office;
- or waiting for a treadmill or weights or a pool lane or whatever;
- working out with some people I know from work;
- having the luxury of working out at my convenience;
- being able to bring my grandsons to swim at least occasionally.
What I will give up would be the fantastic pool at the Y. The club pool is small, something like 66 laps to a mile. Also all the state of the art equipment. And best of all the hassles with the locker room (kids, no towels, waiting for a shower, people with cell phones, etc.). So what am I waiting for??