Saturday, February 21, 2009

IT CAN'T LAST MUCH LONGER, CAN IT??





Another wintry blast hit us again today. I was up at o'dark thirty again to get in a workout before heading to the office. Not one flake was falling or had fallen up to that time. By the time I came out of the gym and got into the office, it was light out enough to look out the window and of course the whole city was transformed again, with enough snow falling to cover the streets and any cars parked outside. Snow, all day long. Bleh! But apparently the cold and snow didn't stop these brave souls from doing the polar bear plunge at the local lake, to raise money for charity. Much as I like outdoor swimming, it isn't in this weather!



I decided to stay in and run on the treadmill but wished I hadn't once I got started. First, the pesty old man at the gym was there pedaling the Schwinn Airdyne at about .5 mph. Somehow, he didn't see me come into the cardio room, even though I went out and back in at least 3 times before I got settled. Once he saw me, however, all he wanted to do was chat, asking the same questions he always asks. Sigh...



Next, it was about 80 degrees in there again, so I went to the locker room to get the fan I had stored there.



Then, none of the heart rate monitors worked correctly on any of the treadmills, so I went out again to find my watch, only to have that not work correctly either. I really think it was the watch messing with the monitor on the mills, because they both registered the same heart rate: 79. So after trying out every treadmill, I finally settled on one and did pretty well--even though my heart rate went down if I ran and up if I walked--until about 45 minutes into it and then everything went downhill. No clue why, but it just seemed too hard. I think part of it was my annoyance at wasting so much time getting settled and knowing I needed to get to the office, making me impatient to get it done.



So, my 7 mile run ended up being only a 10k. That was about all I could manage.



Sunday, the plan is a double spin workout with Jan and whoever else shows up. Swim first, then spin, and maybe if I'm still feeling good, a short run. I have one more week before my vacation here and want to get in as many workouts as I can! I've been planning my weekly training based on being off for a week the first week of March, so I'm not planning on feeling too guilty if I don't get too many workouts in!








13 comments:

Shannon said...

Ok, agreed, that is B-U-T-T cold......spring is almost here, right?

Unknown said...

i wouldn't polar bear plunge either!

good job doing a 10K on the treadmill. that's more than i could handle.

vacation soon?!? lucky you!!

Christie said...

Vacation is always good. And you could use one with your schedule. Where are you going?

Marlene said...

I am shivering just looking at that plunge picture.

This feels like the never-ending winter... but I think it always feels like that around this time.

Calyx Meredith said...

I once had a teacher from Siberia who (said he) swam every single day in the winter (after he chipped the ice in the lake). I cannot imagine! Your vacation spot looks heavenly. Hope you get to come back to spring being sprung!

chia said...

Stay warm sunshine! Have fun on vacation!!! Where are you going?

IronWaddler said...

I am so tired of this weather. I hear that spring is coming but I am having some doubts.

Sunshine said...

We saw that weather headed for you!!
And more snow for us later this week.
But you are about to escape??!! Have a great time!

jahowie said...

I can't stand this cold!! We also had more snow fall here too!! I'm still jealous that you are going on vacation. LOL

Sunshine said...

Thanks for stopping by..
Sadly, we were gone from this frozen tundra only 4 nights! And no more marathon trips until May.

Looking forward to your posted vacation pictures!

ShirleyPerly said...

Ooh, that vacation place looks great!

And I've never had much luck with the HRMs on exercise machines. Not sure why, maybe dirty contact surfaces or not enough sweat on my hands? Who knows ...

jeanne said...

wear headphones in the gym. your ipod doesn't actually have to be on! that should get that old guy to stop bothering you. i'm a beast when i'm running. i just tell people, "sorry, can't talk." whatever!

you do more before work than i do in a week! nice job!

Bill Carter said...

It has been a long one hasn't it? I am really jealous as that place you are going looks amazing.. and warm!

Have a great time.