Thursday, December 18, 2008

LAYERS--How to Run in the Winter.


The weather was calm and 21 degrees, a virtual heat wave over the last few days. My schedule today called for 30 minutes of running. A quick scan of the roads and sidewalks, and it was decided: I was going outside. I figured I could survive 30 minutes outside over a dreadmill run any time.
One thing you have to plan for pre-run in the winter is how much time it will take to assemble all your layers of clothes and then put them all on. Plan to add 10-15 minutes for that at least! Here's my list of what I put on today to go out to run, in the correct order:
  • Tights--2 pair. I can't tolerate the cold that penetrates through one layer, and shorts and tights together still doesn't work for me.
  • Running bra--a given. Have to keep the girls warm.
  • Turtle neck wick-a-way shirt.
  • Regular wick-away shirt.
  • Socks--I only need one pair of Thorlos cushioned. My feet rarely get cold.
  • Vaseline--for the face, concentrating on around the eyes and nose, and on the lips. Nothing keeps the skin smoother and wrinkle free in this harsh weather like good old Vaseline.
  • Shoes, a given.
  • Headband or hat.
  • Jacket. Mine is actually a reflective one so even if not quite warm enough, its an added measure of safety.
  • YakTrax. I try not to put these on the shoes until almost ready to go out the door.
  • Gloves.
  • Face mask. I've gotten to really like that face mask. Now I can really go incognito.
  • Fleece mittens.

Then, looking like the Michelin man's wife, I head to the door. And, like what happens with a little kid once you put them into their snowsuits and boots, I now have to go to the bathroom again! And I realized I forgot my heart rate monitor. Oh well, time's a wasting. Time to head out the door and go see whose been naughty or nice in keeping their sidewalks shoveled.

We've gotten probably about 5 inches of new snow over the last couple of days, about a third less than the lakeshore, so I really shouldn't complain. And today there was another new layer, making it still fairly easy to run on the sidewalks. Living by 4 churches and 3 schools, for the most part the sidewalks are kept clear, as long as I stay on the main street. Going off that, however, and you might want snowshoes.

For the most part, it was an easy run, but when my legs started tiring some, I used the unshoveled areas to slow down and give myself a break, never having to walk then. Just a short jaunt through the neighborhood, seeing only one other runner and a house for all seasons, with their pumpkins, campaign signs, Thanksgiving straw decor, and Christmas lights up all rolled into one. Surprisingly, their walk was nicely shoveled. Apparently that was taking up too much time to take all that old stuff down!

Not a bad run at all!

4 comments:

Go Mom Go said...

Thanks for the blog visit.

Your "house for all seasons" made me laugh out loud.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

"...looking like the Michelin man's wife..." LOL

Calyx Meredith said...

Good for you to get out and run with all of that on!

jeanne said...

good god, it would take me an hour to put all that on! by then i'd be exhausted. i'm in awe.