Monday, November 26, 2007

ACHILLES HEEL.

Everyone has one, both physical and metaphorically. In this case, Don's Achilles did rupture, and he is scheduled for surgery Tuesday am. They will suture the torn tendon, and hopefully it isn't so bad that they have to use other tendons to brace it. Then he will have a cast for at least 6-8 weeks, followed by another cast, recovery, and rehab. All in all, a total of 12-15 weeks, or possibly 4-6 months of rehab/recovery. There goes my running partner!

Seriously everyone, please do your stretches. Its very unfortunate this had to happen, but in his case, this wasn't the result of any inattention to stretching, just more stress than usual in playing racquetball, as he often does in the off season anyway.

The best option for treatment is surgery if he wants to (hopefully) continue with an active lifestyle after.

So I'll be at the hospital tomorrow. Send some good healing vibes, won't you?

13 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Best wishes to him Vickie..give him a big hug from me..:-))

Bill Carter said...

Best wishes for Don's achilles. That is really a terrible thing to have happen to anybody, let alone your running buddy. I can only hope that he makes a full recovery and will think of him the next time I think about skipping my stretching.

Nancy said...

Oh dear.

Healing wishes and vibes,
Hugs and prayers,
Good thoughts
coming your way...

IronWaddler said...

Best wishes for Don's surgery. What atough year he has had. Hopefully 2008 will be better.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Good luck to him! I hope this fixes it and he recovers faster even than the doctors expect!

Nat said...

Healing wishes for sure.
That's a major major injury.

Flo said...

Healing vibes coming from this side. Hope all goes well tomorrow and it's not as bad as they think.

Unknown said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about his injury. :(

He'll be my prayers for quick healing

jahowie said...

Sending good vibes from here. I hope that he comes out of this OK.

Lori said...

Ugh, that is really too bad. Healing vibes and prayers will definitely be sent. I can't imagine how painful that must be...and disappointing.

Marcy said...

Yikes!!! That's horrible :( Sending the vibes his way!!

Fe-lady said...

Oh man...I have to catch up here! Best wishes to Don's healing! My dad ruptured his achilles way back in the early 60s playing basketball and he had a cast all the way to his hip! I doubt if they have to do that today!
He sure didn't need anything else on his plate...nor did you my friend!
(Come visit again when he is up and at least walking!) :-)

jeanne said...

good lord i've missed a lot. but i read ahead so i know he's ok.