Friday, October 26, 2007


The big day is almost here. Last night, I went out for my final "tuneup" before the race. I decided to go to Millenium Park, run through the park, out to the road, and onto the river path to the footbridge.

It was windier and cooler than I had expected, but still sunny. The colors are starting to fade, and more and more leaves are scattered on the path now. It also gets dark out sooner, and by 6 pm, the sun was low in the sky.

I didn't see too many people out: a few bikers, a walker, a roller blader, and one other runner. I was surprised that my legs felt tight, since I hadn't really been doing much this week. Probably too much sitting, that's why!

Don had said he was going to the track again, but if it was crowded he would call me. Well he actually did call, several times, but dummy here left my cell phone on my charger at work (real nice since my 5:15 alarm would continue to go off every 15 min. or so until I got to work the next day!), so I didn't get his call that he would meet me at the park.

I turned at the footbridge and was heading back to the park and my car, but the sun was so bright in my eyes I couldn't really see anything much. I did spot someone coming toward me, however. It looked like another runner, but I really wasn't sure. Being out there alone, I always am a little leery about people I don't know, and in this case I couldn't see. It never hurts to be on guard, no matter how safe you think you are. Probably 100 feet away, this runner's silhouette now becomes more visible and I figure out it is Don!

I was surprised to see him, and he said he had called, but I had already remembered I left my phone at work. He said he had been running through the park and up and down the road looking for me, had asked the one runner if he had seen me (he said he didn't remember, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't see me with the sun in his eyes), and finally decided to head to the path. He could see me the whole time, yet I couldn't identify him until just before we practically bumped into each other. So he was ready to head back to the car too. I was glad of that, as I wasn't willing to make my short run into anything else. And did I mention it was cold?? My hands were freezing and were turning bright pink.

"I saw you walk," he said. "Yes, my legs felt pretty tight today, so I decided not to push it, and did take a walk break." "So you're going to be doing the Gallagher method?" I had to laugh here, because I knew he meant Galloway. "Yup, that's about all I can manage right now for my long runs. At least I know I'll finish."

So watch out people, I may be throwing out some watermelons at you!


Non-Runner Nancy said...

Funny, I tried to go to Gallagher's site to get you a "Gallagher-ism" quote, but that site is blocked by my company computer!! HA HA HA

The legs will loosen up when you finally unleash them!!!


Flo said...

Oh no, not the Gallagher method of running :) You will do awesome, I know. Rest, relax and have an awesome race.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

LOL - the Gallagher method of running. Gonna smash some gatorade bottles?!?! or a few gels!??!

Sunshine said...

Thanks for the picture. We will call you on our way in.

WADDLER26.2 said...

Sounds like a smashing method- have fun at your race.

SWTrigal said...

Vickie-GOod luck on the marathon!!! We will be suffering at the same time! Looking forward to hearing about it..