Monday, January 26, 2009

HAPPY MONDAY!
And yes, it is a happy Monday for me, because today is an off day from training. As for work, well its always a good day to get caught up on the blogs that I neglected all weekend. And I thought this beautiful flower was much better to think about than the snowy, freezing weather we continue to have. I'm thinking happy thoughts! Week 3 of 2009 triathlon training went like this:
  • Monday: Swim 1200 meters (31:10)
  • Tuesday: Pilates (missed a lot of sleep on the weekend and just was too tired to run)
  • Wednesday: Spin class followed by a 2 mile run; weight training class
  • Thursday: Swim 1200 meters (31:02); run 3.5 miles (hr training)
  • Friday: Off. Had a family (uncle) funeral to attend so it was a good day to take off
  • Saturday: 6 mile run; 2000 meter swim (52:13 and no Tai Chi man!)
  • Sunday: Spinerval DVD, 1 hour 22 min. heart rate training zone

I finally started getting better sleep by Wednesday and hope it continues. Maybe the extra training has something to do with it; maybe its the melatonin I've been taking nightly. If it continues to work, I'll continue to take it unless I find something contrary to taking it.

Jan and I actually did an outside run on Saturday, looking like ninjas with our face masks and hoods. While we started out together, that didn't last long, since I was trying to do heart rate training and she desperately wants to get her speed back up again. So basically I told her to go ahead and do intervals, waiting for my slothlike self to catch up at intersections. We ran downtown mostly since those streets were the most cleared and even dry in some spots. It was cold (about 7 degrees), but no wind, much better than yesterday or today where it is once again in the minus digits. (Thinking spring, thinking spring, thinking spring.) I followed this with my 2000 meter swim. It felt so relaxing and warm getting in that water after braving the elements. I didn't push it at all, just patiently swam lap after lap, keeping pretty consistent with my pacing. I was hoping for 50-51 minutes but went over. The odd (and good) thing for me again is my first 1/2 mile is slower than my second. I just wish all this would convert to my run!

The first indoor tri of the year will be February 15, this year at a new venue from the past 15 years. It was a disappointment that the Y cancelled this event after more than 15 years. Suddenly they decide its not a money maker?? But fortunately, someone else organized it at a different and newer venue, so that's the good part, as well as not having to run up 3 flights of steps for each of the 3 legs or run on a track that is 19 laps to the mile.

Hope everyone had great weekends, and I'll be catching up with you today and/or tomorrow!



11 comments:

Marlene said...

Looks like a great week - glad to hear you're sleeping better.

Bummer that the Y cancelled the tri, but at least you found another one.

Calyx Meredith said...

Monday is my favorite day to have off of training and I love gerber daisies! Great combo! Great job on the outside run and sticking to your heart rate zones. Hope you have a good week.

Tammy said...

I love Monday's as well, keep up the great job on your workouts as well. Thank you so much for all your encouraging words.

Marcy said...

Great works lady!! The ninja look is always cool LOL

Unknown said...

Looks like a good week.

Good thing someone else organized the indoor tri.

So I'm not the only one who starts off running with someone and ends up on her own. That's good to know. :-)

IronWaddler said...

Great week--you are working har.

Lily on the Road said...

Could you please bottle some of your energy and send it to me?

Hope you're having a great week!

Fe-lady said...

Great week for living in snow country!

The flower is beautiful! I almost bought some (Gerbera daisies, I think they are called) on Sat. when I was at the garden center, but we are having a freeze tonite, so I am glad I didn't!

First tri in a couple weeks! Wow! Go get 'em!

I wish you would have taken a picture of you ninja ladies!

jeanne said...

what a fantastic week, and a fantastic monday! you are so far ahead of me it's almost enough to make me really start training again...almost!

Sunshine said...

Glad the melatonin is working. Since I wrote to you about sleep, I read something about it being helpful. Take care.
Congratulations always on your awesome workout schedule.

ShirleyPerly said...

19 laps to a mile? Now that would definitely make me dizzy!

I really wish there were more indoor tris around me. That seems like such as great way to get new folks interested in tris and also just share the excitement with people of all levels. Good luck on the one coming up.