Sunday, August 19, 2007

48 DEGREES.

That was the temperature yesterday morning, air and water, when Don attempted to do a 1.75 mile Lake Michigan swim event. The event was cancelled due to the possibility of, imagine this, hypothermia!

I actually saw someone running yesterday morning with tights and a hat with the ear flaps down! Let's see, what month is this?? That's carrying it a little too far. Must have been an out-of-towner: we don't wear tights around here until January!

My planned bike ride was going to be cold, and I really wasn't into it mentally, but I set out with good intentions, only to have the whole thing thwarted by: 1. construction of a bridge overpass right on the bike path, meaning they totally blocked the bike path and the road surrounding it with their trucks and heavy equipment, and 2. a fatal accident on (next to actually, a shared, closed off road) the bike path--a car crash that is. So that whole area was blocked off with the investigation. Creepy. Glad I didn't find the car! So I didn't get far, and instead headed back to the park and chatted with people I haven't seen in a while. Then I went to the gym with the intention of swimming but ended up doing 1 hour on the elliptical instead! Didn't expect to do that.

This change in weather around here is always inevitable this time of year. It always seems to happen about 2 weeks before school starts back up, and then when school starts, summer returns. I don't expect it to be cold next week in Louisville though! I still need to get cell numbers and any other info from those bloggers I hope to meet up with, so watch for my e-mail!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

48deg sounds PERFECT for running. I'm envious!! Now, I'm not sure I'd want to swim in those temps...but run...YES!!

Iron Lush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zanne said...

oooh ... i'd do anything for 48 degrees right now. agree with lisa - that is just dreamy running weather! this 90 at 5:00 am is getting really tired. i don't know what the weather here is supposed to be next weekend ... will do a 10 day forecast thing on weather.com. hopefully, it will cool off a bit!

IronWaddler said...

I love this weather!! I can't wait to see you in Louisville-I get in on Friday night.

Larissa said...

Wow. Its cold up in your neck of the woods. For August anyway. Louisville should be a return to summer. Have a blast!!

Cindy Jo said...

Great running weather - not so good for cycling!

About the Illini 1/2 - I've heard nothing but great things about it. Very small & low-key, which I love. That area is FLAT from what I remember. I went to school in Champaign which isn't too far from there (U of IL) so I would love to head back there for a tri. Plus it is only $90!