Thursday, August 28, 2008

PEDALLING THROUGH SAND

Not in reality, but virtually. That's how this virtual race is starting to feel. Like I can't go any farther or faster or at all! Like I am bogged down in sand. I can hardly stand to pedal one more mile on the trainer, so hopefully tonight the weather will cooperate and I can get outside. This morning I actually looked forward to running, just for something different.

I know Jan has already won, simply for the fact that she did not do a 70.3 race this month or go on an extended family vacation. So there! But I would rather she won with her "for real" "actual" miles than some jacked up version of steps equalling miles.

Both of us are frustrated with the way this program converts your exercise. Basically, you are rewarded for doing less by getting more "steps" that you then convert over to miles. While its pretty close to actual miles, there are some things like mopping your floor or cutting wood that give you a higher proportion of steps per minute that then are converted into miles. Confusing? To us too. Needless to say, we both have worked very hard to complete the almost unrealistic goal (for us anyway) of reaching 370 miles in 4 weeks or less. I really want to do another triathlon next weekend, but right now I'm so tired I'm not sure I even care! I am getting very close to the goal and am desperately trying to come up with a way to get this done without having to bike all weekend, so its been every morning and every night, pedal, pedal, pedal. Last night I just closed my eyes and pedaled!

From the conversion chart, I might be better off just cleaning my house or cutting some logs for the fireplace this winter!



4 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

I just don't know how you do it, where does the motivation come from?

chia said...

Dooode, that profile pic is pretty hardcore!

Let me know if you want to get some miles in this weekend. I'm thinking I want to do at least 40 on the bike at some point.

Rainmaker said...

370 miles in four weeks is quite respectable - especially trainer mileage! Nothing to be unhappy about there!

Anne said...

I've discovered the same system flaw in our corporate competition -- it pays off to walk instead of run. Love the biking in sand analogy. So true!