Friday, February 15, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO AVOID...

on my cruise. A bad sunburn. So I had started going to the tanning salon. I have only been one other time before and was not looking forward to needing to do this, but my fair skin does not handle intense sun very well, and being a snowbird on top of that added up to a potential problem.

So I've gone 6 times over 2 weeks, as recommended, increasing the tanning time over the course of the 6 visits. I'm using one of those stand-up booths where you are in and out in 7 minutes or less. That appealed to me! The first visit, I spent 3 minutes in there and was mildly pink, but it went away after a day. The next few I stayed at 3 minutes and then went to 5 for the fifth and sixth visits, and was developing a nice tan, nothing dark, just a nice contrast from my usual snow white skin. Last night was number 7, out of 10. I decided to be bold and went for 6 minutes. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until sometime in the night I woke up, uncomfortable, but didn't know why. I woke up it seemed every hour all night long, but didn't think much of my discomfort until I got up and looked in the mirror!

OMG! I was beet red from my hairline to my waiste. Even my eyelids were sweating, and my eyes looked puffy. How could adding just 1 minute make that much of a difference?? And to top it off, I have lines where those little eye protectors are, so I've got that racoon look, and it is quite obvious I went tanning, or in my case, frying.

I have 3 more visits left. I'm a little worried now about getting burned again. Yikes! I guess I need to go back down to 5 or less minutes for the next 3 visits. Hopefully, this will avoid any burning on the cruise.

9 comments:

cindy said...

Oh no! I hope it doesn't hurt too bad and fades into a tan instead of a burn.

Good luck :)

Anne said...

Maybe this is why tanned people where sunglasses -- to cover the whites of their eyes!

I hope it doesn't peel. And thanks for swining by my 'place' today!

Anne said...

Oh, crap. I meant "this is why people wear sunglasses." I really shouldn't drink and type...at least not before 9 a.m. :-)

Black Knight said...

I don't think that on your cruise you have the time for a sunburn. You will be very busy and a day 24 hour long is however too short.

SWTrigal said...

You will be glad you tanned though when you are on that cruise-I am jealous!

Marcy said...

Take a break from it today and you should be good to go for the next time :-) You'll be good to go chica!

Flo said...

Yikes!!! I hope it doesn't peel!! I know nothing about tanning booths so I can't offer any advice, only some sympathy :)

Fe-lady said...

SPF 50 will help!
Keep that snow white skin-it's why you look so YOUNG!

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Sorry that you got burned.

I'm of the opinion that staying clear of the sun as much as possible is more healthy AND keeps us looking younger.

Buy a wide brimmed hat and a long sleeve gauze shirt and enjoy the cruise. :)