Wednesday, September 13, 2006


Sunday, September 3, 2006, 9:35 a.m. That's when it happened, according to the accident report.

I had wanted to do a couple more training rides on the bike course for my next tri that was to be on my birthday, Sept. 9. I was going to be going alone since others were tapering either for Ironman WI or the 1/2 in Racine the day before. I wanted to get one training ride in on Sunday, then go and do my mile or longer swim. Then another ride Monday with a run off on the hardest part of the course.

I planned my Sunday bike time to avoid the churchgoers on the course and the sun in the eyes which you get if you leave before 9 am. I left approximately 9:08. I reached the halfway point at 9:28, and was pleasantly surprised at how much better this ride was going than I had expected. I came to the light at the turnaround and, to be safe, waited for the light to change so I had the entire light to turn on and go through the wide intersection. Not much traffic in any direction, and nothing coming close, as far as I could see.

I made the turn, crossed the intersection, and within moments it was as if I was in a dream. There was this explosion in my head and the next thing I remembered was seeing my bike away from me, my left shoe still clipped into the pedal.

The next thing I remember was being treated at the scene by paramedics. I heard a woman clearly say "I didn't see her because the sun was in my eyes." And "I was going between 40 and 50 miles per hour."

Those four things I remember clearly. The rest was a blur until I arrived at the emergency room of a local hospital. No, I do remember them putting me in the ambulance and how painful that was. They might as well have thrown me down a flight of steps it was so bumpy and painful. I vaguely remember making some phone calls and then the rest was at the hospital. I know I called Don but barely remember. I remember talking to my daughter who called while I was in emergency, as I heard my phone ring over and over but no one answered it. Finally someone did and said it was her. Before I knew it, many members of my family had gathered at my bedside waiting for the prognosis.

That's all I can write for now as it is painful to sit and type. More later.


TriFeist said...

How very scary for you. I'm glad to see you are well enough to type for a while at the computer.

Ellie said...

Good Lord, Vickie!! I'm off to read Part 2...