Tuesday, March 02, 2010


That's how my run went this morning: started out with the full moon, ended with the sunrise. It was so uplifting for many reasons.

First, it is the sure sign that winter is waning and spring is truly just around the corner. When I can go out for a weekday run before work and have it daylight when I return is a turning point. That and most of the streets and sidewalks are now clear of snow buildup and most of the ice.

Next, it has been weeks, no months, since I have had a good run, probably since B2B, if you could call that a good run. Taking some mandatory time off from running after the IM, then having winter set in, a bad December virus that took weeks to clear up, holiday shopping, the holidays themselves, more winter setting in, then the headaches, it seems like while I have been working out steadily, no measurable progress was being made. I was just going through the motions that are a part of my everyday life. I couldn't even begin to plan a race season with the almost daily headaches. Update on that seems to be--at this point anyway--an allergic reaction to something environmental, based on the other symptoms. Those too seem to be clearing up, although not totally gone.

Third, Masters swim is no longer kicking my butt, at least to the point where I feel drugged and unable to function the next morning. Part of that was pushing myself through hard workouts with the headaches, which themselves left me exhausted. To be able to get up and run in the morning is a sure sign of overcoming that hurdle.

So when I get a day or two (its been 3 days in a row now for the first time since mid January) without a headache, I feel like I have all this energy built up inside of me that is waiting to let loose. Today was one of those days, and I am so glad I made the effort to get dressed to go out, even though Monday nights are late nights with masters swim and eating late, going to bed late, etc. I rarely get more than 4 or 5 hours sleep Monday nights, but still woke up without an alarm and was ready to head out the door by 6:30.

The full moon was still out. Everyone on Facebook talked about it last night, so I was eager to get out and enjoy it, if only briefly. It was 23 degrees, 10 full degrees colder than yesterday, but with no wind and proper clothing, I still found myself sweating somewhat throughout the whole run. Forty minutes later, the sun was up and the day was upon me.

Let's hope these good feelings last!


Lisa said...

perfect. :-D

Shelley said...

I saw that moon over the horizon last night when I was driving home, it was this huge orange orb, just amazed me!!

Marlene said...

Sounds like a perfect way to start the day. Love to see that sun rising!

ShirleyPerly said...

Hooray for a good run and NO headache!! (I used to have migraines often when I was younger)

Anne said...

There's something about those lunar beams that makes running under a full moon so special.

Sunshine said...

Congratulations for making it into the light.