Monday, November 23, 2009

Here are my top 10 reasons why I want to do another Ironman distance triathlon:

  1. I'm crazy?
  2. I like to swim, bike, and run.
  3. I find my running goes better after a bike ride.
  4. I find I'm really starting to like the endurance events because there's no (not as much) pressure to go fast.
  5. I like having a structured training plan, even if it takes most of the year.
  6. I like connecting with other people doing the same race and maybe even giving you training buddies.
  7. I like the fact that I can do an Olympic distance triathlon without batting an eye and no taper and improve from past years' performance.
  8. I like the fact that I can ride 95 miles one day and run a 1/2 marathon (and then some) the next.
  9. I like the sense of accomplishment.
  10. I like the 3 week recovery program that follows.

All that being said, once I started thinking of the races I want to do next year and in the future, I realized I probably am hooked on these long distance events. I have seen it happen to almost everyone I know who has done an IM event. I'm not so sure I was ready to sign up the next day after (or even the day before) the event like some, but the plan has definitely taken shape in my mind.

Tracking IMAZ peeps yesterday made me ALMOST ready to sign up for that race for next year. The practical side of me took over and it was a good thing to sleep on it. While I really would like to do that race, I am not ready financially to commit to spending that kind of money so quickly, and I realize there are other races closer by that I can do if I choose.

My biggest thing holding me back, however, is now that I know what it takes to train for such an event, I want to improve on what I did last year, so first there are steps I want to take over the next 6 weeks to get me ready to start training in January again. While I was content with not pushing myself in the training (not much anyway) or having had to push myself in the race (not much anyway), I know there are things I can do to improve performance without making it out of reach for myself, so that's where my improvement goals come in.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the 3-4 week taper, which is giving me time to make decisions without being pressured, giving me a chance to sit back and relax for a while, and a chance to get some household things done that were put off most of the year because of training.

I hope to formulate a list soon of races I either intend to do next year or there is a high likelihood I will do them. There are just so many choices!

6 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds good to me!!

Marlene said...

Great list! Sounds like you are getting ready for next year. Hard to imagine starting up training again so soon! Can't wait to find out what event(s) you choose.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am starting to learn that everyone one in the world is crazy, triathletes just tend to make the crazy jealous.

IronWaddler said...

Can't wait to hear what 2010 holds for you!

Unknown said...

Cedar Point! Cedar Point! Cedar Point!

I think that would be cool. And it's close to you.

TRISHARKIE (AKA Ronda) said...

Aim High!