Thursday, November 05, 2009


Woke up early today, around 5 am, too many thoughts going through my head: what am I going to wear to the swim start? (predicted temps in upper 30s, low 40s); what to wear on the bike to start? (predicted temps in the mid-upper 40s); what then to wear on the run when it is likely to be pleasant temperatures when I start, however, dark, and eventually go to chilly to cold temps? I didn't feel like I had enough clothes to cover all the possibilities, so fretted about that. Finally, I got up around 6:30 with a splitting headache.

I had forgotten to clear off my memory card for my camera at Walmart the night before, and also discovered I had forgotten to bring a towel for after the swim and didn't want to take a hotel towel so headed out there early today to do both errands. When I got back to the hotel, it was still only around 9:30 am and Don was still sleeping, the lazy bum! I made breakfast (we have an efficiency suite) and then decided to head down to the beach to hopefully find the transition and so I could ride my bike another time. Like many others, I was dealing with nervous energy. Not necessary nervous energy, just nothing else planned to do. I did wash the car, however.

We went to the beach where the swim is to start. While I went for a short ride (3.5 miles), Don wandered the beach. When I got done, I didn't see him anywhere and was about to walk down to the ocean beach when I ran into the Outlaw crew from New Mexico. Weird chance encounter. Ran into Debi Wess (SW Tri Girl), her husband, and a few others from the group.

After I finally found Don, we walked around the beach neighborhood, admiring the flowers still in bloom, the butterflies, and the cool beach houses. The sun was shining bright and was so wonderfully warm!

Later in the afternoon, we headed over to the packet pickup, expo, and athlete dinner.

The schwag we got was a nice race bag, a nice climate control shirt, and a few other handouts. I also picked up another Sugoi vest and bike shirt at half price along with some Hammer Gel (apple cinnamon, my favorite). I met up with some of the Outlaw group again.

After that, I met up with Waddler (Karen) and TriSharkie (Rhonda) to head to the athlete dinner, along with Brian, Karen's husband.

By regular IM dinner standards it was a little lame; the volunteer dinner the night before was way better than this! But we had a good time and I sat with Shirly Perly, Waddler, Tri-Sharkie, and their spouses. After, we had more photo sessions before heading back to the hotel to get organized for tomorrow morning's early swim. We figured we would swim the same time almost as when the race starts to get a feel for about how cold its likely to be.

So now its time for one of the last 2 sleeps.


Shelley said...

Awwwww looks like you gals are having a blast, wish I was there..:-)

Lily on the Road said...

I'm with Shelley, wish I was there too.

Maybe they got the volunteer and athlete's evenings mixed up!! Glad you met up with Shirley, rest up today, I'm thinking of you...

Sunshine said...

Wasn't paying attention to what your were up to!
We were doing the OBX Marathon in NC on Sunday.. and there you were.. right down the Carolina beach...
Making marvelous success.. A million congratulations. You are awesome.