Saturday, April 04, 2009

TODAY'S RUN
There really should be a cutoff date for snow and cold, but for some reason, Mother Nature doesn't roll that way. Today was one of those "get it done before the really nasty weather hits" type of runs.
On the schedule today was 1.5 hours. I am finding myself energetic and really beat at the same time, so even though I woke up early (before 7), I was in no mood to get myself out the door to run any time soon. Instead, I waited until the leisurely hour of 9:45 to get out the door. By then, at least it was 37 degrees--but sunny! Of course, I didn't factor in the wind velocity, so rnning north or west, it was frigid; running south or east, my sunglasses steamed up and the sweat trickled off my forehead. Without the sun, it would have been very uncomfortable, no doubt.
I was bored with running from the house so went to run around the lake, where you would see runners coming and going every few minutes, runners of all shapes and sizes, so it was great to have "company", but also forgetting how incredibly hilly it is! And I had also thought it was too warm to wear a jacket and instead wore two shirts and my vest, only to wish I had worn the jacket while running into the wind. But I stuck it out, and actually, when running with the wind behind me, it would have been too warm with the jacket.
I'm not at the point where I need to carry water yet, thankfully, but today I did bring a little Gu flask filled with water, which fit into my pocket. I could have used a little more, but it lasted until almost the end, so that was okay. My goal was to try to run around the lake and then some, ending up at 1.5 hours. I decided just to go with running 8 min., walking 2, especially because of that dang wind. It was so strong that at times it felt like I was running in place. With this method, I lucked out on the last biggest hill and ended up with a walk on this portion, which was also very close to the end. I still had to run another 8 minutes past where my car was parked, and was so thankful when I got done. I dreaded having to run into that wind anymore. It seemed stronger and colder by this time.
All in all, I am pleased with my progress. On the schedule for tomorrow--with rain/snow showers looming--3 hours of biking. I pretty much figure it will be inside on the trainer. Oooh, that has to hurt!

6 comments:

IronWaddler said...

Way to get it done!! This weather sucks!

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, 1.5 hour run and no water? You're amazing. Good job getting out there and good luck on your trainer.

Lily on the Road said...

Vickie it snowed here yesterday! Good job for you getting out there and slogging through the cold weather, hats off to you!!

Unknown said...

Good for you for getting it done. I'm sure you'll find a way to get your cycling in as well. As for me...bleh...I'm more inclined to skip a workout for bad weather.

Aka Alice said...

I cannot believe how the winter is hanging on for all of you...It's gotta end some time, right?

chia said...

Great job, those hills do suck and despite the trees adn all the wind is just unrelenting through there. Way to go!