Tuesday, May 20, 2008

STICKING CLOSER TO HOME.

With the Memorial Day weekend coming up, a traditional race Don and I have attended over the years, and each of us individually, has been the Bayshore races: either the marathon or 10k. It has one of the most scenic courses anywhere, and the flattest 10k I've ever done.

But this year, we won't be travelling north to Traverse City. Why? One reason of course is the gas prices. Not that we couldn't afford it if we really wanted to go. Its just that it wasn't on our calendar, and to go that far on a whim just isn't happening this year.

I'm sure everyone is as concerned, irritated, angry, disgusted, or whatever about the gas prices (and everything else because of it), but this may be the year to rediscover some closer-to-home races that I haven't done for a long time. What's already on the calendar will stay on the calendar, but as much as I like the adventure of a race in a new locale, I probably will do more local races this year.

How about all of you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally understand. Our trip to Vegas was pricey, so we counted that as our 20th Anniversary "splurge." Part of the reason I decided on Buffalo Springs in Lubbock was that it was on our way to see family in TX this summer. Every little bit helps!

chia said...

I just wish there were more quality distance races in the more immediate area! Goodness, after the Riverbank Run it's like a commitment to find something longer than a 10K around here.

Lily on the Road said...

I hear you!

We had talked about Quebec City, Marine Corps, etc...no, not for me on a single income....so I've opted, just like you to stick closer to home....

but, one of these day missy, we ARE going to run together!!! LOL...

Anne said...

I'm definitely only doing local races. Granted, I live in a city the size of Connecticut, but the gas prices have indeed forced me to stick closer to home.

Unknown said...

I'm having similar thoughts. This is not going to be a big year for race travel for me.

Nat said...

Well, I'm planning any number of road trips this year. Just because it's cheaper than packing the three of us into a plane. (And we just bought a much more fuel efficient car.)

I am really lucky that I can run so many races nearby. I am toying with a new Half marathon in September here in town but there is also a full marathon in Montreal (nearby) the weekend before. Pretty sure I can't do both...

We are doing American Odyssey Relay in April, so that's the big one this year. Next year, I think Chicago... or Marine Corps... not sure... I guess my thinking is that we can save money elsewhere...

Sunshine said...

Races closer-to-home is seasonal for Michigan and Minnesota runners!
But yes, in October we ran Grand Rapids with you, and we are looking at possibly adding, in the fall, Des Moines (IA) in our quest for 50 states.